Monday, October 27, 2008

Almost 35 Weeks and Jehovah Kadesh

I am not quite sure what is up with the face in this picture....Hal must have said something funny. :) I had been pretty good about taking pictures before church on Sunday, but this is the first one in a few weeks.

We had a great weekend! It was nice to get to resume our normal Saturday routine and watch football all day. We did get out and go to Target and Best Buy so I could do a little bit of walking. We are trying to debate on whether to buy a new camera or a new video camera. And of course Hal needs no excuse to go to Best Buy anyway.

Hal and I were blessed with a wonderful experience on Sunday. I had met an Asian woman who had come to our Sunday School class a couple of times. Our pastor has been doing a series on the names of God. Yesterday was Jehovah Kadesh- God is Holy. He used Isaiah 6:1-8 to talk about God's holiness and the reaction we should have in the presence of His holiness. We see the seraphs covering their faces and their feet in the presence of God's holiness. He also talked about how we are too sinful to approach God on our own and this was the reason for Jesus' sacrifice. When we acknowledge our need, His blood covers our sin and makes us acceptable in God's eyes. During the invitation at the end of the service, I noticed this woman I had met come to the front and get on her knees in front of the altar. She stayed there with her head bowed and the pastor went to her and called his wife over to be with them as well. As he ended the service, he let us know that she had accepted Christ as her Savior. She had come to church after reading about a music event and had kept coming. I was so struck by her reaction. She came face to face with the holiness of God, realized her need for a Savior and her inadequacy, and her response was to humble herself and get on her knees and bury her face in her hands. It was amazing to see the scripture of Isaiah 6:1-8 lived out in someone's life. Altar calls and invitations are so commonplace in our churches today....I often find myself going through the motions each Sunday. This woman's response challenged and humbled me. Yes, I have accepted Jesus as my savior, but I need to have that same humility and reverence every day!

Isaiah 6:1-8

1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;the whole earth is full of his glory."
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."
8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

No comments: