Monday, April 26, 2010

Move over Martha Stewart or maybe Paula Deen is more like it

One of the best things about being in Laurel the last few months is that I have learned a lot from Hal's mom. She is an amazing Southern cook. Those of you who are worried I just hurt my momma's feelings, don't worry. She will admit cooking isn't her thing. She has never cooked a bad meal, she just isn't adventurous and prefers cooking things the easy way. For example, I didn't now biscuits didn't come out of a can until I got married. :) Over the last few weeks, I have enrolled myself in my mother-in-law's cooking school! Last week I made biscuits from scratch and this week the lesson was homemade strawberry preserves. I also helped make chicken and dumplings which will make my husband one very happy man if I can master that!

Stirring the strawberries....this took FOREVER! :)
The jars are sterilized and ready
The preserves are ladled in.
Waiting for them to seal

The finished product!

7 comments:

Mom Parnell said...

Do I get to sample the preserves? I did manage to put most of the strawberries Ed brought me in the freezer... the easy way :)

Rachel Holliday said...

Impressive! I must confess though that I noticed the manicure in the first picture before I noticed what you were stirring. :)

Mom Parnell said...

Rachel, she is my daughter.....

Rachel Holliday said...

Very true, and you have raised her well. :)

Unknown said...

I hope you marked which jars they are, so I don't grab one!

Rubies and Rewards said...

So sorry Ed, but I now control ALL the strawberry preserves. You better start being NICE if you want anymore!

Anonymous said...

I got a Jar!!!!! Ed brought it to me!!!! Thank you!!