Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Learning

One of the things I love and hate about being a mom is how routine things become. There are some days that I think, I will clean this high chair tray three times today and then do it again tomorrow. I have a pretty scheduled baby so we do about the same routine everyday. I love that I can know what to expect, but sometimes it does seem monotonous.

Although I love the routine, the last few days I have found myself being frustrated and feeling like we don't accomplish much because we do the same thing everyday! While Drew and I were playing outside today, I was praying and God gently reminded me that I am accomplishing a lot each day. Even if the laundry doesn't get done and I do the same tasks over and over, my goal for each day is "train up a child in the way that he should go." There is value in the mundane and routine. I am teaching and training Drew each day with my words, actions, and attitude. I am praying I do those tasks with joy tomorrow!

Proverbs 22:6 (New International Version)

Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Here is an example of a routine we go through each day. We play outside a lot. Hal's parents have a big yard and there is plenty of room for little man to run around and get in trouble. In the backyard, my mother-in-law has a fountain/water garden. Each day the story goes something like this.
Ooooo....look at that water.

Maybe I can get away with playing with the door....
But that water looks soooo interesting.
So...if I smile at her, while she let me play in the water???
Maybe I can just touch it with one finger???
Mom- "Drew Ramsey, do NOT touch that water!"
Fine...I will find something else to play with

If you won't let me play with the water, you can chase me!!!

Today the scene ended with a happy boy running off. Some days, we have a crying little boy who plunged both hands into the water and got in trouble. If you look closely at the fountain you can see where he knocked it off one day and cracked the top. He is learning. :)

2 comments:

Mom Parnell said...

LOVE IT!! This should be a book!!! or a movie....

Anonymous said...

and so are YOU! Love the little peek into Drew's world!! Aunt K