Sunday, January 03, 2010

Resolutions-2010 and a look back at 2009

No cute picture of my little man today....just back to good ole' me writing just like the old days. I don't know that I have ever really made resolutions. I do think this is a good time of the year to set some new goals. Time for a fresh start. I am also thinking that if I put them down here, I will have some sort of accountability!

1) Respond to emails better. I am AWFUL at this. I read them and think I will get back to them later, but I NEVER do. So if you are reading this and I haven't responded to an email or a facebook message, it isn't that I don't love you, I just have bad follow through with emails!
2) Listen to voicemails. I never listen to voicemails. I am not sure why, but I just don't listen to them. I have learned my lesson though. A very close friend of mine left me a voicemail over Christmas to tell me she had been in a horrible car accident, but I didn't listen to the message and thus didn't find out for almost 2 weeks. I will do better.
3) Run.....Run....Run. I was doing so good, but the holidays and a cold combined with a little bit of laziness means that I have not had my running shoes over since before Drew's birthday. Although I don't necessarily like the running, I do like the way I feel when I am working out.

2009...what a year! My first full year of being a mother. You have heard me say that motherhood has challenged me like never before. I seem to think that more and more with every new stage that we enter. Lately, I have really been dwelling on the awesome task that God has given Hal and I in raising Drew. As I watched my little man lay himself out on the tile floor and throw an all out fit a few weeks ago, I realized what I had known for awhile, but wanted to ignore....I don't have a baby anymore. He is changing, maturing and we have to be ready for that. How we respond to situations now will help shape who he will be in the future. How we handle discipline, temper, frustration, joy, and sadness will make a difference in the man he becomes and how he responds to his need for a Savior. What a responsibility....but what an awesome God who has equipped us uniquely for the task of raising Drew Ramsey. We can lean into the Lord Jesus and He will direct us as we raise our little man. There are days I feel completely overwhelmed with this task, but I am so grateful I have a partner in Hal who supports me and has the same goal for Drew: to know Jesus as his personal Savior.

Apart from motherhood, God has taught me a lot this year. Lessons that have stretched and grown my faith. I have seen parts of my character that God has been refining for some time really change...I hope to share those with you soon! :)

3 comments:

Malisa Howerton said...

Love this post Lindsay! I too have a few resolutions that I need to really work on this year. And I loved what you wrote about raising Drew. Makes me really think of my boys and how everything I do and say stays with them and makes them who they are going to be when they grow up. I need to really focus on that and make sure that I am doing and saying just what I need to so that they grow up being strong men of faith. Thank you!!

Mom Parnell said...

You and Malisa both make me proud to say we are family... here and in eternity...

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, you encourage me through your blog. Realizing your need for God will certainly help you and Hal raise Drew to the place in his life where he makes the same choice - choosing salvation. Grow with Drew. He will continually teach you about the love of God!! Love you, Aunt K