Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The "Good Girl" Syndrome

Most of my life I have been known as a "good girl." You know what I mean....I didn't go to parties in High School. I never got in trouble with my parents for staying out too late or breaking a curfew...as a matter of fact, I don't think I had one! I didn't even taste alcohol until college when I had a stretch of a couple of weeks that I decided I wanted to be wild....which wasn't that wild! I have never had the urge to do drugs...I wouldn't even know what marijuana smelled like if it was right in front of me. I have never used foul language as a part of my vocabulary. I saved myself for marriage. I could go on, but I think you get the picture...I have been the "good girl" in my mind and according to the world's standard until the last few months when God began to show me otherwise. Several events combined with the beginning of the BSF year and the study of Romans has sent that "good girl" facade crashing down around me like a ton of bricks.
Romans 3:10-18 says, "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and they way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Five times in that passage it is says that no one is good! It doesn't say that no one is good except for those that have been a "good girl" according to the world's standards. It says that according to the only standard that matters, God's, no one is good. Which means that Lindsay Ramsey is not a "good girl" according to God's standards. I am the chief of sinners.... apart from God, I am "full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderous, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless." Romans 1:29-31 Wow! On my own and apart from the Lord Jesus, I am all those horrible things above or I am capable of being them. When I look past the "big things" and look at my depraved nature....I have hurt a friend, I have desperately wanted what someone else had, I have been prideful, I have not trusted God, I have desired my own will about His, I have lied....My nature is depraved...having no good in it.
Then I got a sucker punch to the stomach, "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things." Romans 2:1 This is when it all came together....not only have I wrongly put myself on a pedestal...thinkng I am a "Good Girl" and I have sometimes silently, sometimes verbally judged others and their sin....not recognizing the sin in my life and my depravity. Instead of the judgment that I wanted to hand down in my "Good Girl" facade.....I should have been driven to my knees in repentance for my own sin and then praised the Lord Jesus that by His grace even as a depraved sinner I have responded to the Gospel in faith, and I am able to stand before Him clothed in His righteousness. "This righteousness comes from God through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe." Romans 3:23

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ephesians 6:10-20 was one of the passages given to me to read today. The following verses I send to you for they are the ones that spoke most today. vs 18-20 "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly as I should."

Although retired, the Lord still wants me in public schools in contact with young people..... He is leading and I must follow.

You and your growth in the Lord are a wonderful example for me as to how the Lord works and blesses. For you are truly a blessing in my life.

Love and prayers,
Mom

Anonymous said...

This morning's Bible lesson was supposed to be on Abraham, but after your mom called and told me to check out your blog our lesson changed. The boys and I had a long discussion on Romans 3. They realized that good character alone gets you empty compliments, the big head, and a life without God. I told them of your 'good girl' life, and that without God it wasn't producing any fruit. We have taken your term and applied it to them. They now have a poster in the classroom that reads: 'Good Boy' or 'God's Boy' - It's my choice. Their memory verse this week was Titus 2:11-14. I've been thinking alot lately about the emphasis people put on good character. I know of several cities that have the 'City of Character' programs. I'm wondering if we are teaching character without God when the emphasis is on being a "person of character". Titus 2:11-14 reminds us that the world is not going to have the answer; the answer is in the grace of God, and He gives us 'character'. As your mom wrote, I think we need to pick up our armor and take on the 'character of God', because character from within us is going to be selfish and prideful. Thanks for challenging us to check our lives against God's Word!

You are a blessing to me and as Dallas said, "Yea! Lindsay!" We look forward to reading your blog again. What a wonderful way to encourage one another, challenge one another, and just stay a part of one another's lives.

Love and Prayers,
'Aunt' Kathy

PS: Kyle is enjoying playing 8-man football this fall with Tyro Christian. The 7-8th grade team is 2-1. He plays center, defensive linebacker, and sometimes noseguard. He loves it! Last night they played in Bartlesville, OK, winning 30-22. It got pretty cold by the end of the game and he said his hands froze so that he could barely feel the ball! Anyway, that's football from Kansas way! :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't Romans horrible? For my own cause I mean. To have such a light shined on my own depravity is horrible and terrifying before Holy God. So glad to be taught through what God is teaching you. I love God's sovereign plan for you to study Romans this year while I'm studying too - you are my doctrine buddy!

Love,
Another decieved Good Girl, redeemed by His grace

Rubies and Rewards said...

Aunt Kathy-
How great God is..that He can take my mistakes and help teach your boys! I must admit it has been a hard lesson to learn...that refining fire had been pretty hot! But I am so grateful for the lesson and more importantly the change it has brought in my heart and mind.

Hal and I were excited to hear about Kyle and his football! We only wish we were closer to come see him.....that is one of those things you learn when you move away from family! We took for granted how close we were before!!!

Love,
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Beautifully expressed-

I attend BSF also and it is wonderful to see how God speaks to all of us each in our own place in life.

You have a wonderful way with words which is a true blessing from the Lord. Keep using your talent to bring the light of the Lord to others.