Friday, March 23, 2007

Amazing Grace

Last night I went with a friend to see the movie Amazing Grace. Although I am not sure how historically accurate the film is...it tells a great story of two redeemed sinners. The movie is based William Wilberforce an Englishman in the House of Commons and his quest to have the English slave trade abolished. As the title suggests, John Newton's song Amazing Grace is an important part of the story. Newton was a childhood pastor of Wilberforce and encourages his life of faith and his quest to abolish slavery as an adult. Newton had been the captain of a slave boat and was saved while on the boat. He left the slave trade shortly there after and become a priest. His redemption and reflection on his previous life led him to write the words of Amazing Grace.

I would love to give you every detail of this movie, but I won't ruin it for you! Hal and I have trouble finding movies that we want or care to see and this is one I would recommend. The gospel is presented in this movie....although not as strongly as I would have liked. :) However, it did allow me to have a conversation with my friend about what Amazing Grace really is. If you haven't seen it already I encourage you to see it. It was good for me to be reminded of God's grace and to remember what He saved me from. Although I wasn't a slave trader who had participated in the death and slavery of many...I too am Chief of Sinners apart from the grace of God. It was also good for me to see someone who passionately pursued to abolish something that he saw in contrary to God's character. I think sometimes I give up to easily....or I don't care enough to do something about it when God's name and character are defiled or called into question.

So go see Amazing Grace this weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i saw that movie back in february! i agree, it was amazing. i really want to buy it, but they never advertised it as coming on dvd, so i'll have to go look for it. :]]