Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day with the Shredder

With a title like that you are probably thinking that I spent my Valentine's Day shredding old pictures or letters. My college friends are more than likely recalling the awful days of a college relationship I had and laughing! Actually I was just shredding a pile of junk mail that I had let build up. :) Hal spent Valentine's Day with guys he works with at a Mexican restaurant in Highland, Illinois outside St. Louis. I know what you are thinking..."that stinks," but we actually celebrated Valentine's Day on Saturday night. We had a great dinner at Ruth's Chris where I will now join our friend Micah Hale's love for their fabulous sweet potatoes. Even though I tend to agree with Hal when he says that Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday, I do think it is a great time to tell those you around you that you care about them. I hope that you all had a great Valentine's Day and you know that we care about you and more importantly God is mad about you! Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with Hal about Valentine's Day and Hallmark! I had a very difficult time finding cards for parents, boys, and husband this year. (Everyone got one but the husband!) I was reminded that I should be giving encouraging, loving words to my family and friends EVERYDAY and not through the words of someone else, but from my heart!

I was struggling with the seemingly slow progress with D in some of his subjects in school. Through God's Word I became convicted about my negative outlook. So one night I got out of bed and went to his desk and wrote him a note consisting of a list of all the things I could remember that he has accomplished since we first met almost 8 years ago. The next morning I came to school and found him beaming with joy while reading his note. He jumped up and gave me a sweet hug, an awesome smile, and a tender "Thank You, Mom". Yep, I cried! He is such a courageous young man to have accomplished many things some never thought he would be able to handle. We praise God for His faithfulness to D. The power of words is incredible - I'm trying to be more encouraging and loving everyday without depending on Hallmark!!

Glad you were able to be used to encourage a group of teens through God's Word. I know He has great plans for you both! Love you! Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Lindsay,
Can you remember those Valentine's Days in Apt. 101A waiting for all those expensive flowers our boys would send us!? What fun.
I spend V day alone this year too but we celebrate both the weekend before and the weekend after to make up for it :)
Amanda

Rubies and Rewards said...

Amanda-

I do remember those 101A days....who was it that ate the leftover VDay cupcake that was full of ants? I have never been so embarrased! :)

Lindsay